Housing and Residence Life recognizes that college students learn both in and out of the classroom. We actively collaborate with our academic partners and other student success partners to complement the classroom experience.
Through Living Learning Communities (LLCs), we offer students a dynamic residential experience consisting of specialized programming, interactions with Augusta University faculty and staff, and a supportive community that focuses on student success.
The LLCs provide students in specific majors or interest areas with outstanding out-of-class co-curricular and residential experiences. From these experiences, students receive additional faculty/staff interaction and collaboration with a strong peer group—that is, students who share academic interests and career goals.
Students within the community are placed on a common floor with staff members who have been specially selected to work with the residential learning community. Additionally, faculty work together with the residence hall staff to use the facility as a setting for co-curricular and social programming based on the content of the community’s major/interest area.
LLCs are an ideal way to make friends with peers who have similar interests. Research shows that, compared to non LLC participants, students who participate in an LLC have
- Higher academic success rates
- Higher college graduation rates
- An easier time connecting with their peers.
LLC Participants also enjoy considerable benefits such as the following:
- Greater academic support opportunities (convenient access to tutoring, supplemental instruction courses, major-focused programming)
- Frequent interaction with faculty and staff outside the classroom
- More positive perception of the residential experience
- Greater connection to the university at large